Thursday, December 9, 2010

An Update

If anyone is actually reading this, I am still back. I hope to begin a regular weekly posting schedule again soon. There's plenty of boxing on tv on Saturday and I'll be watching something no matter what.

I have HBO again, which means I am hardly starved for choices. Part of me leans toward the Showtime bantam tourney because I believe those fights to be more significant than HBO's match-up of various prospects in search of a big money fight for Amir Khan and/or Victor Ortiz. I also tend to think that everyone will be writing about Khan-Maidana and Ortiz-Peterson over the bantam fights. I hate to follow the pack.

As a fight fan, though, I really want to see Khan and Ortiz. Khan's fight is the more interesting of the two, but both are in good solid matches.

So what I will do is watch Showtime, DVR HBO, and score all four fights. If all goes well, the Sunday lead will pick itself.

I didn't write about Froch-Abraham or Bika-Ward before or after the fact, so I will say a few words on both now.

I picked Abraham to beat Froch by decision. I didn't see a point in making a Bika-Ward pick, but quietly wondered if Bika could pull an upset.

Froch surprised the hell out of me. I didn't think he would be able to box like that. My idea was that he would come ahead and the only things preventing a knockout would be his chin and Abraham's low punch rate. I didn't properly score the fight, but I thought Froch shut Abraham out. I've always thought Abraham was a good fighter who would have given Kelly Pavlik a really hard time and probably beat him when both were fighting at middleweight. Now I'm not sure whether he is unable or unwilling to counterpunch. I think the only way to know for sure is if he goes back down to middleweight. I won't even be upset if he becomes the next fighter to pull out of the Super Six.

Ward showed he could hang with a tough, nasty fighter in a cleaver and blackjack fight. He may have shown that he is a tough and nasty fighter himself. On top of that, we know he's fast and technically sound. Bika gave him all he could handle and the judges' cards were off but no one disputes that Ward won convincingly in a very different kind of fight.

Which is another reason for Abraham to drop out of the Super Six. Dirrell is good but isn't a fighter. Froch is a fighter but just how good he really is might still be up for argument.

Ward is better than Dirrell and might be as much of a fighter as Froch.

Why should Abraham stay in the tournament?

Anyone?

No comments: